Invitation to 2021 Soochow University Forum for International Young Scholars
Suzhou, the hometown of painting, poetry and scenery, enjoys a long-standing history of 2500 years. Suzhou is well-known as a land of attractive resources and a birth place of gifted talents. Home to the Wu Culture, Suzhou has always been well-known as the most prosperous in the southern Yangtze River Delta, and boasts its fabulous classical gardens. It is among the first to be listed as the National Famous Historical and Cultural Cities. Located and deeply rooted in the historic and cultural city of Suzhou and founded over 120 year ago, Soochow University contributes to the development of the city as well. Soochow University is a Key National “Project 211” university, and one of the first institutions selected for “Plan 2011” in China. It is listed into “Double First-Class” Initiative jointly built by the Ministry of Education and Jiangsu Provincial People’s Government. It is also a provincial key comprehensive university jointly sponsored by the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defense and Jiangsu Provincial People’s Government. At present, Soochow University has 12 subject divisions including philosophy, economics, law, education, literature, history, science, engineering, agriculture, medicine, management, and art. Currently, fourteen of its disciplines -- Chemistry, Physics, Materials Science, Clinical Medicine, Engineering, Pharmacy and Toxicology, Biology and Biological Chemistry, Neurology and Behavioral Science, Molecular Biology and Genetics, Immunology, Mathematics, Computer Sciences, Agricultural Sciences, Environmental Science and Ecology-- are ranked top 1% on the Thomson Reuters Essential Science Indicators (ESI) ranking. Chemistry and Materials Science are ranked top 1‰.
Nowadays, with an active spirit, an open mind and an international horizon, all the faculties of the Soochow University are sparing no effort in building up a world-renowned research-oriented university that . We hereby sincerely invite international scholars to attend the 2021 Soochow University Forum for International Young Scholars.
I. About the Forum
The 2021 Forum will be organized and held online. It aims to provide a platform for outstanding young scholars from both home and abroad to promote communication and collaboration focusing on the frontiers of research, and to broaden horizons and promote innovation and cross-discipline research through academic conferences and seminars.
II. Participant Requirements
1. In principle, under the age of 40 (born after September 1st, 1980);
2. For scholars from China: selected by “national youth talents”, e.g. awarded by the “Outstanding Youth of National Science Foundation”, or recipient of similar levels of recognition for young scholars;
3. For overseas scholars: holder of a doctorate degree from a prestigious overseas university, or holder of a doctorate degree from a Chinese university with overseas research experience. At least 3 years of consecutive research experience abroad is preferred.
III. Pay and Benefits
Soochow University provides the following pay, relocation subsidiaries, research support funding and necessary office or working space for excellent scholars who are selected by “national youth talents” or of similar levels of recognition:
A. Title and Pay
1. Title: Distinguished Professor (permanent title) and doctoral supervisor;
2. Pay: RMB 350,000-600,000 annually (not including insurances and housing fund paid by the university), related rewards without cap;
3. Relocation: RMB 800,000-1,800,000 (not including subsidiaries provided by the central and local governments); fully decorated short-term accommodation.
4. Research Support Funding: RMB 500,000 for scholars in the Humanities and Social Sciences, RMB 600,000-800,000 for scholars in Non-experimental Sciences, RMB 800,000-2,000,000 for those in Experimental Sciences, Engineering and Medicine (not including national or local support funds). Large-scale equipment and apparatus may be provided as needed;
5. Other benefits include: spatial offices and labs, support for recruiting assistances and establishing research groups, priority for recruiting post-graduate students, job and school recommendations for spouse and offspring and convenient medical care. Social and commercial medical insurances for foreign faculty.
1. Priority recommendations for applying “Innovation and Entrepreneurship program”. Successful individual applicants will be funded with RMB 5,000,000, 3,000,000, 1,000,000 or 500,000 within 3 years by the provincial government. Successful group applicants will be funded with RMB 3,000,000-8,000,000 within 3 years by the provincial government. Successful PhD holders will be funded with RMB 150,000 within 2 years by the provincial government.
2. Priority recommendations for applying “Distinguished Professor of Jiangsu Province”. Successful candidates will be awarded RMB 120,000 / year within the three-year term, and a research fund of RMB 1,000,000 (RMB 2,000,000 for excellent ones) and 500,000 for natural sciences and liberal arts, respectively.
3. Priority recommendations for applying various talent programs in Suzhou, e.g. “Leading Talents of Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Gusu District”, “Talent Subsidy”, “Easier Settling Project”, “Reward for Contribution of Outstanding Talents” and SIP’s “Jinji Lake Talent Plan”.
This forum consists of two sections: main forum of the university and sub-forums of disciplines.
Applications: March 9th - April 7th , 2021.
Invitations will be issued from April 10th -12th , 2021.
Main Forum takes place on April 15th , 2021.
Sub-forums will be organized flexibly by colleges or institutions according to the convenience of the applicants, and time will be announced separately.
V. To Apply
Register and submit the application form of “Soochow University Forum for International Young Scholars” on the website http://rckf.rsc.suda.edu.cn
（please copy and paste the URL into the web browser to open）.
Scholars Recruitment Office, Personnel Department, Soochow University
Contacts: Zhang Xian, Yin Kui.
Soochow University is constantly recruiting distinguished professors and excellent young scholars. For detailed information, please go to the talent recruitment website of Soochow University (https://rczp.suda.edu.cn/recruit/index
). Soochow University sincerely welcome talents from home and abroad to join us and work together for future development!